Tuesday, May 31, 2011

first stone mountain trip of the year

One thing that we've enjoyed doing since living in this area, is going to Stone Mountain. And sadly, we haven't really taken full advantage of the park, but we do love to go to the laser show. Not much beats free entertainment. We go with our picnic dinner and sit on the lawn in a shady (preferably) spot for hours waiting for the laser show spectacular to begin. This is really becoming a tradition for us to go a couple times each summer. We watch the train go around the mountain several times, play ball, blow bubbles, take walks, enjoy the company of each other without the tv in the background. The kids are bound to make a friend or two with other little kids roaming. This trip involved watching the cutest little Asian girl I've ever seen, she was probably a little younger than Mark and was so stinkin' cute running circles around her family's picnic spot. And, the boys befriended a little boy next to us who had a bubble gun blower--way better than the little wands we brought. It's just such a sense of community there. There is nothing like the longing that comes over me watching the laser show either. It's so fun. It tells such a sweet Georgian story and even though I'm a transplant to this state, I sure do feel rooted here sometimes. I have seen the show now more than half a dozen times, and yet I'm flooded with emotions each time we go. When the GT symbol is flashed up there, I hoot and cheer, feeling a sense of pride swell up in me for my husband. And when "Georgia on my Mind" is played I feel a sense of longing for home. When "I go to the Rock" and "The Devil Came Down to Georgia" are played, I feel amazed at how awesome our God is. But, when Elvis starts to sing, "Glory Glory Halleluiah," I tear up every time. When Maria Carey starts to sing "Hero" and all the pictures of all the American Heroes play, I do more than tear up. I'm glad they left those parts in, even though they did greatly ad and improve the show this year. This show is such a tribute to our state and our country and I'm proud to be an American!













No comments: