Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Crackle

Jamie isn't particularly fond of the name of this dessert but I haven't yet found a better replacement for the word crack. So for now it's Christmas Crack, but I'm looking for an alternative ... read this and then comment me with your suggestions! Christmas Dessert? (eh) Christmas Brittle? (eh)...

Anyhow. OH HOLY GOODNESS!

Things You'll Need:

  • 1C butter (real stuff)
  • 1C light brown sugar
  • 40 saltines (one sleeve)
  • 12oz chocolate chips
  • chopped nuts
  • foil
  • pam spray
  • deep pan (cookie sheet)
Foil a 15x10 jelly roll pan ( I used a large Pampered Chef Bar pan)
and spray foil well with Pam Spray
Line the pan all over with the saltine crackers


Bring sugar and butter to a boil in a pot on the stove, reduce the heat to med heat for 3-5 minutes until sugar and butter are completely mixed.

Pour butter and sugar mixture all over the crackers & gently spread all over.


Put pan in the oven and bake it for about 7 minutes at 375 degrees.


Remove pan from oven & pour chocolate chips over the top of cracker mixture


Let the chips melt slightly and then spread the chocolate all over with a knife.


Take chopped nuts and sprinkle them all over the chocolate.


Stick pan in fridge for 2 hours to let set. (I did overnight)
Then peel it off the foil and crack apart.

My own personal thoughts... I think 12 oz of chips are just too much. It is really chocolatey. I think in my next batch I'll try white chocolate chips and less of them. Or maybe a mixture of white and regular. OOO OR butterscotch chips!? ....

Aside from that, it is really amazing. I had a nibble last night before going to bed. I had to drag myself away. This morning the first thing I did was crack it apart and send half of it with Jamie to work! I don't need this much yummy in the house.


Updated 10:30am:
A friend suggested peppermint topping... um. YUM! I'm thinking white chocolate chips with peppermint crumbles now. mmmmm

Also another friend suggested "Christmas Crackle" So I'm changing the title to reflect that. I like that better.


Second Update: Sunday... OMG! White chocolate chips with peppermint crumbled on top... heavenly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Swoon worthy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crunchle

Shannon said...

Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe! I did it slightly differently. I used graham crackers and white chocolate chips. I figured with all my Christmas baking, most had chocolate, so white chocolate would give good variation. This recipe is so easy and so yummy. Thanks again!

Kate said...

I'd be curious how the graham cracker ones turned out. I bet they are super sweet.

I have made about 6, 7 batches now. This stuff is addictive. I can see why it had the original name!