Wednesday, April 2, 2008

my son, the Big Boy

Oh my word! So late last night I was posting about "awww, he's so smart with his talking..." NO! we're passing up talking Momma! For those of you who know my child, he doesn't eat (still) 'kay. For those of you who don't know Matthew at all or well... he doesn't eat... Ever. 'kay? Like I can count on less than both hands what he MIGHT eat in a day. If we're lucky: 3 bites of oatmeal, an attempt at yogurt, grapes, bananas, pears, cheerios by the pounds, sometimes fruitbars and rice cakes. That's it. Oh, and bacon. IF it's crispy enough, if not it gets spit out. No chicken nuggets, no cheese, no bread, no veggies of any kind, just grains and fruit.

But anyhow, so seriously the last three days I've felt like I was losing a losing battle with him because he was giving up the yogurt. Today at lunch I was nearly crying, thinking WHAT am I going to be able to feed you. And then! It dawned on me. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe my little baby wants to be a BiG BoY and FEED himself! Soooo, tonight I gave him a spoon and the yogurt and kept asking him to take a bite. At first he was more interested in the fact that he had a spoon and was allowed to hold it himself. But then slowly, he was putting the yogurt on the spoon-- sometimes with the help of his free hand, and eventually into, and all over, his mouth! He ate almost all of the yogurt. Minus what was smeared into his hands, pants and table, and poured into the measuring cup he had to bring with him to the table, but who cares?! I'm so proud of him. He *ate* dinner! Here's some evidence for you to laugh at. First bite, mm finger, & switch hitter.

2 comments:

♥ Jess ♥ said...

Woo Hoo I can comment! I just wanted to say that it was a GREAT idea to give him the spoon. The pictures are adorable :)

Kate said...

thanks Jess!