Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Wanna Be Apple Pie Muffins

No official "10 on Tuesday" but here's a few things...

1. I got my camera back!!!! LOOK OUT! Here come some pictures!

2. I wanted to post this great recipe. Made it tonight and it was soooooo good.


Crisscross Apple Crowns (I will be calling them Wanna-be-Apple Pie Muffins) From Taste of Home Magazine. Giving credit where credit’s due: Teresa Morris, DE.

Prep time: 30 min (Eh, give or take maybe, I didn’t think to look but I didn’t feel it was lengthy)
Cook time: 20 min
Makes 8

1-1/3 cup chopped peeled tart apples (I used two big green apples, peeled and sliced and smashed to bits with the Pampered Chef food chopper)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup raisins (I omitted these)
½ cup sugar, divided
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
Dash salt
1 pk (17.3 oz) Large refrigerated flaky biscuits (I got large flaky Grands with butter)
2 tsp butter, melted

In large microwave safe bowl, combine the apples, walnuts and raisins with 3 Tbls sugar, flour, ½ cinnamon and salt. Microwave 2-3 minutes or until almost tender. (I did 3 minutes, it was great)

Flatten each biscuit into a 5-inch circle. (I kind of pulled them around the edges, turning and flipping until it was stretched. The “flattening” on the cutting board wasn’t working out). Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle a rounded teaspoon of mixture of each biscuit. Top mixture with ¼ cup of warm apple mixture. Bring up edges to enclose mixture, pinch edges to seal. (I did this one biscuit at a time “flattening”, spooning sugar, and then apple mixture and then pinching and sealing and placing in pan then moving on to next biscuit rather than to flatten all at once.)

Place (now a ball of dough) seam side down in ungreased muffin cups. (I wasn’t sure about this. I used a paper towel and gave each cup a rub with Crisco). Brush tops with butter, sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. With sharp knife, cut an X in the top of each.

Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before moving to wire rack for cooling. (I will be using the Crisco from now on, as they came out beautifully, without sticking)

SOOOO YUMMY. It was like apple pie wrapped in a biscuit. I seriously see us making this often, it was super easy and so good. Enjoy the pictures. I'll be back with trip pictures in a bit.



Before cooking

After


No comments: