Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all who are mothers... either with children here on earth, or with those waiting for them in Heaven.

May 2007 marked my first time to celebrate Mother's Day as a mother. It was Grams chance to celebrate then 8 (now I think 12) great grandbabies being Grams to. (though not all call her Grams, it's a name just my sister and I have given her, and now Matthew calls her Great Grams). It was my mom's first chance to celebrate being a grandmother. She's called Grammy. Oh how she loves being a Grammy. Oh how she loves being a Grammy. I'm so thankful for these two women in my life. Today our Pastor did a marvelous job honoring Mothers with his message. And I am so grateful for the women in my life. ...I find myself also thinking about my sweet great-grandma, Thelmy. Oh how I loved her. Oh how I wished she could have seen my boys. And yet, I know that she is in Heaven, rocking the ones I couldn't hold.


May '07 Great Grams and Matthew

May '07 Grammy and Matthew (blowing kisses)

May '07 Momma and a very tired Matthew


May '08 Momma (just found out we were expecting Mark)
and Matthew (drinking his first ever juice box)


May '09 Our family. Mark was dedicated this day.


April '10 Easter (What a difference a year makes?!)


I'm so blessed and grateful for my boys.
I am so blessed to be their mother.
I am so blessed to be a mother.

Matthew and Momma Feb '10 (snow)

Mark and Momma April '10 (beach)


I'm also so very blessed to be the mother of two children already serving their Maker. It was so hard to get through the service today. Especially the song service. Pastor asked all who were mothers to stand. I stood and thought about my two children here and my two Heaven-bound children. I will wonder who they might have been. I will wonder what they might have done. But I'm not wondering where they are. In Psalms 22, David says in verse 10 that "From my mother's womb you have been my God." And I know that in good times and in hard times. And even when life seems unfair and hard and I don't understand why I didn't get to keep my two angel babies, that God is and was and will always be their God as well. In good times when we're having a great time and I'm surrounded by loved ones... I am so grateful for the life that He blessed my womb with, even for the short amounts of time. Those lives, those babies, were gifts from my Father.

Momma "resting" with her two boys, Mar '10

My sweet necklace, my memorial, for my angel babies, given Mar '10


* * *


While looking up the Ps 22 passage, I found myself wanting to turn to more verses about life. About life being created. About God's greatness. About God's majesty and beauty as our creator. How some people can deny a God and His existence is baffling. Today Pastor focused some time on Gen 2. How God had created everything and Adam had named everything and yet after it was all done, God said that it was not good for Adam to be alone. So He caused Adam to sleep and from Adam's bone, created him a helper. God didn't even create woman the same way He created man. He is so marvelous. How beautiful she must have been, that first woman. How beautiful it must have been to have felt life inside her.How beautiful it must have been to have had the first baby... After some digging, I found a site that collected many verses about life that I've copied and pasted here--some verses about life and God's beauty in creating life, and specifically, life in the womb.

Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers? (Job 31:15).

Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother's breast. From birth I was cast upon you; from my mother's womb you have been my God (Psalm 22:9-10).

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be (Psalm 139:13-16).

This is what the LORD says—he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you...(Isaiah 44:2).

Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all you who remain of the house of Israel, you whom I have upheld since you were conceived, and have carried since your birth. Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you (Isaiah 46:3-4).

And now the LORD says—he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD and my God has been my strength (Isaiah 49:5).

The word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations" (Jeremiah 1:4-5).

When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy" (Luke 1:41-42, 44).

No comments: