Thursday, January 8, 2009

Mark update

Just wanted to say that he's doing wonderfully! We had another check up this morning and the doctor is very pleased. There has been no lingering effects of the fever and nothing to persuade us that Mark isn't as healthy as can be. He's gaining weight like a champ-- now a pound and 7 ounces past birth weight. We don't have to go back again until he is one month old, which will come quickly, as it is in two weeks!

In Mommy news: Mark is amazing. He's so content and calm it even baffled the good doctor today. He was rolling Mark's hips, a test that I remember Matthew wailing while happening, and Mark just laid perfectly still sucking on his hand, making baby noises. The doctor actually asked me, "he does cry, right?" haha! Yah, he does cry... but not very often. I remember the hours and hours we'd rock and bounce and sway and swing and pray that Matthew would stop crying. Mark is just content. (Thank you Jesus)! Doc said not to be alarmed if around 6-7 weeks Mark gets a "crying stage" as he grows.

I can't believe he's over two weeks old already. I really can't. I remember with Matthew just crying my eyes out right along with him, and with Mark that just hasn't been the case. Life hasn't been roses since he's been born, but it hasn't been awful either. I've had a couple friends tell me the same was true with their second. That life just kinda keeps going, the second kiddo just slid right in. Now Matthew's world has been rudely disturbed, but I for sure am glad I'm not a "first time mom" again. I'm so glad you only go through the insane amount of "what if's" once in that area of life. I know that it's okay if he sleeps 4 hours. I know that it's okay if he falls asleep while eating. I know that it's okay if he cries for an extended period of time, he's not going to die from crying. I know my heart will break a thousand times though, while the baby cries, but my heart will keep on beating. I'm so glad I don't have to wonder "is he getting enough?" "should I pump and measure" "should I weigh him daily" "is this working" "is that working" "is he okay" "is he okay now?" "what about now"??? HA! When I go back and read my journalling and delusional thoughts from Matthew's early days and first few weeks... I laugh at myself. My poor sad state of mind back then. How do our husbands stay with us while we're dealing with the "first time mom" syndrome of that kind of CRAZY?! Whew!

1 comment:

Nic said...

Seriously, isn't it amazing that child #1 turns your life completely upside down and in a scary way --- but #2 seems to just slide right in and level things out? Of all the things I expected from being a mom of 2, I was NOT expecting that.

Love you! LOVE THAT BOY! I can't wait to come snuggle his content self. :-)