Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cancer sucks explained...

Funny, I came on the computer to vent my anger out into the world. I was going to use my blog as a pounding board for the crap cancer is causing my life.... and then I check my email first, and I find a dear friend of mine emailing me advice on miscarriages. Oy. Life is funny sometimes, huh? God knew how much I was hurting right then, and how much I just wanted to yell... and instead, He gave me someone to minister to and to use my energy elsewhere. And I did. And I hope I was helpful. And while I'm still mad... I have no reason to be all dramatic with the "how" mad or upset. It can't change the facts. So here they are...

my dad still has cancer.

lots of it.

the radiation last year didn't show any improvement with the scans recently done. the PSA levels went up, we knew that already.

what my folks found out yesterday (and I was told tonight) is that it's spread.

the bone scan showed there are 3 spots in the vertebrate (numbers 7, 9, and 11) (so more towards the bum than the neck). it also showed 2 spots that they couldn't identify as cancer (and will continue to watch/retest). though it's in the bones, it isn't bone cancer. Mom said it was the prostrate cancer spread into the bones.

besides the spots in the vertebrate, there were spots around the esophagus that they are also uncertain if they are cancerous or not. the lymph nodes are enlarged and they'll continue to watch these to see if they continue to grow and do biopsies on these if needed.

he'll start two forms of treatment Feb 12th.

the doctor has said this isn't curable. Manageable but not curable.

New scans will be in June.

Please join me in prayer.

3 comments:

♥ Jess ♥ said...

Oh sweety :-( You and your Dad are in my prayers!

Marsha said...

So sorry to hear the news of your Dad! I am with you, I hate Cancer!! It is terrible. We will be praying for your family.
Marsha

Anonymous said...

Kate, I am so, so, so sorry to hear this. I knew something was going on, but didn't know the details until now. It just makes me sick for you and your family. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us all posted...