Saturday, November 10, 2012

Cake Batter Pancakes


November 10 thankful: coupons and breakfast time!

So today is a toss up, I'm thankful for coupons (you'll see why)! And I'm also thankful for family breakfasts time-- which only happens on Saturday mornings. Usually it's french toast, waffles or pancakes. Sometimes biscuits and gravy makes an appearance. Usually there is sausage or bacon or both for the meat eaters. I love Saturday morning cooking. Jamie and I dance in the kitchen together around a "can you get the milk?" and "I need the eggs" chorus. Everyone is still in pajamas. No one needs to be reminded to "get your shoes on fast because we're running late!" It's just slow. Breakfast might be at 8 or at 10, it doesn't matter. We all sit and enjoy together unrushed for a change. (Of course this doesn't apply during soccer season. We had some 9am games!) Anyhow, I thought today that I'd like to do something fun. Something different. Something fluffy. Jamie's been wanting fluffy pancakes... and I thought "what's more fluffy than cake?" Soooo (can you see where this is going?) I am thankful that Betty Crocker rocked a sale a couple weeks ago at Kroger and I am stocked up on cake mixes. And I mean stocked. So, I examined the choices and went with a box of white cake mix. I did a little google work and saw several options of making pancakes with cake batter. Some said to use a cup of that and mix with X amount of flour. Some said to make as directed on the box for the cake. Some were in between. I decided I'd invent my own recipe. Jamie was concerned for his Saturday breakfast at this point. I was giddy!  I felt very inspired  by my Coupon Goddess' new blog A Beautiful Bite, even though her blog states that she wont be using mixes in the recipes there, she'll be doing everything from scratch. I am excited to see all the yummmmmy foods she posts about from scratch! I also think she would have been proud of my creativeness with my stockpile today!

I ended up using the whole box of cake mix. (Why not?) 
I also added flour, salt and baking soda. Mixed well. 
In separate bowl mixed milk with eggs and vanilla and poured into the dry ingredients very very slowly, stirring with wooden spoon lightly trying to incorporating the wet into dry fully by the time I was done pouring the wet... (I read this on the Pioneer Woman's Recipe, very important.  I didn't follow her recipe at all, just liked her tips. Though I do like her site and aim to try some of her things soon). So, then after it was all mixed together, but not over-mixed,  I followed her last part of her recipe. And melted some butter, and poured that slowly into the batter. I figured again "Why not?"! So then this, folks, is what I ended up with... 

Batter ready to make yummy pancakes

bubbles to tell me it's time to flip them

Lovely golden pancakes and LOOK... 
they are FLUFFY!

After I made a row of  plain ones for the kids, 
I added some tasty blueberries for Jamie and me

mmmm! 
waiting for something so yummy is so hard!

Micah didn't like waiting either. He was banging his cup, and the spatula I'd given him to stay quiet, loudly on the tray as if to say "I want cake! I want cake!"  er.. "I want pancakes! I want pancakes!"

with the pancakes, I made eggs

and sausage links to complete the Saturday morning yum-fest for my boys.

Before I knew it they had inhaled their pancakes, 
Matthew asking for another!
Would you just look at these happy people!

I had only just made my own plate

Micah thought they were wonderful. 
He also inhaled his first one and then tore a second one apart.

Thank you for the cake, Mom
Thank you for breakfast, Mom

Review: 
2 thumbs up from the kids.
Matthew said they were awesome and tasted like chocolate. 
I don't know how, I used white cake batter. Mark also said they were awesome.
I thought they were pancakes from Heaven.
Jamie thought they were too sweet though. I will try again... 
maybe with more flour, less vanilla and half the cake mix... mmmm!

Recipe:
Dry: large bowl (mix well)
1 box white cake mix
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Wet: separate medium bowl (mix well)
three eggs beaten well
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
pour into the dry ingredients very very slowly, stirring with wooden spoon lightly to incorporate the wet into dry fully by the time done pouring the wet
Next:
3 tablespoons of melted butter
pour in slowly to batter, stir lightly
Last:
Pour batter onto hot griddle 
Flip
Eat!


Also, A Beautiful Bite is giving away a kitchen aid mixer! Head over there now and enter to win! 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I just gained a few pounds reading this post. Oh yum. Looks like a delicious morning. Your littles are really getting big. It's amazing how fast they grow. xoxo

Melanie