Monday, July 26, 2010

Children are gifts

Our Sunday School class started a new study yesterday and will be continuing it for the next several weeks. I'm excited to see where this leads. The book that we're working out of is Charles Stanley's "How to keep your kids on your team." We discussed chapter one yesterday. There was lots of thought provoking comments in class, but I'm glad to say that throughout the week Jamie and I were able to have several conversations about the study too. (It's handy that he taught this week). Some things I took away that I thought I'd share...

1. Your children are a GIFT from the Lord.

--what is a gift? ...it is something given to you without anything expected in return, it is unearned, something given to show favor

2. Your children are a REWARD.

--what is a reward? ...a prize, something you win or earn, something given in return for merit or service or hardship

Psalm 127

A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon.
1 Unless the LORD builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the LORD guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain.
2 It is vain for you to rise up early,
To sit up late,
To eat the bread of sorrows;
For so He gives His beloved sleep.

3 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one’s youth.
5 Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;
They shall not be ashamed,
But shall speak with their enemies in the gate.



Here's some of the hard questions from the study...

1. Do you view your children as gifts?
2. Do they see themselves as burdens or blessings?


I'm very interested to see where else the book takes our thoughts. I've made a promise to myself to show my children that they are blessings daily. To tell them verbally and also show them with the non-verbal. To take time to spend the time with them. To value their words. To sit down and play with them. To put my "stuff" aside for them. To snuggle extra long on the couch. To do projects with them when I'd rather to other things. To read extra books, even when I'm tired. To pray with them more. To choose to give them the attention they need and desire so that they don't ever feel unwanted or not cherished. I need to work hard on being kind and patient and gentle with them while they are so young still and impressionable. I want them to always know they are loved and never question it.

If you have this book or can get a copy, I highly recommend reading the prayer on page 11. It has drastically helped my mindset this week.

No comments: