Monday, September 14, 2009

John 8:31-36

My best friend Nic has been sharing her thoughts in "blog world" with her scripture learning, studying... I use my blog to update on most every level of my life, except this often is the part I keep to myself. Well after sharing last week's women's devotional, I thought I will probably use this more and more to share the things in the WORD that God is speaking to about me...

So, our new pastor has started preaching two separate messages on Sunday mornings. A "series" in the second service. But the first service seems to be just whatever God has laid on his heart...

I can say that I'm so moved lately. I know God is working. I know HE is alive and HE is powerful. Here is just a recap from Sunday, I took a full page of notes at each service. Here are the notes from the first service, about being Free.

John 8:31-36 (New King James Version)

The Truth Shall Make You Free

31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”
34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.


*most of this is paraphrased or direct quote from Pastor Joe Davis*
click here to go to our church website to learn more about Summit and Pastor Joe's messages

"Authentic Freedom"
Freedom is a great Christian word.
1. What are we free from? ... because Christ CAN liberate us, from the forces that enslave us.
-- From Guilt. . Ps 130 There is forgiveness with God
--Freedom from yourself, from sin. -- Sin is really, at it's root, at it's essence is just self-centeredness. think about the words that start with S E L F - .... over 50! Self-image, self-worth, self-help, self-esteem, self-, self-, self-, self... We are so obsessed with ourselves!
--Freedom from Fears-- fear is like a like a fungus, it grows in the dark. So by all means, why don't we drag it all out into the LIGHT OF JESUS CHRIST! Let Him deal with it!

~We are free from Guilt, as Guilt is taken away by the DEATH of Christ.
~We are free from sin, as Sin is take care of by His SALVATION
~We are free from fear, as Fear is taken care of by his EXHORTATION

2. What are we free for?
True, authentic freedom is simply to be what God created us to be-- ourselves. God created us in His image. He wants us to be like Him. 1st John 4:8 says 'God is love'. Therefore, we are not ourseves if we are not love... loving, giving, dying to our self to start living in Christ's love. Jesus says to come and be free in Him, "For if the Son has set you free, then you are free indeed"

1 comment:

Nic said...

AMEN. To all of it. And, again, it is funny how much of this coincides with the teaching at my church yesterday. The Holy Spirit is on a roll, pushing His agenda on all of us who are willing to hear it.

I AM WILLING!!!!!