Friday, November 5, 2010

homemade granola bars

A friend (thanks UK!) gave me her recipe for homemade granola bars! I couldn't believe it! I've been shelling out cash for these things?!?! And I could be making them at home! You get 8 bars in a box. I just made a pan of these, cut into 14 bars! I wish I was smart enough to figure out the math on the ingredient costs.... but the cool part, is I had EVERYTHING on hand. Here's the how to: (original instructions in black, my modifications in purple)


Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 -2 cups Rice Krispies *I did 1.5 c of plain and then also added 1/2 c. of coco Krisipes and 1/3 c of multi grain cheerios
  • 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed *I didn't pack it
  • 1/2 cup dark corn syrup or 1/2 cup light corn syrup or 1/2 cup honey *I used light be/c that's what I had the most of on hand
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup dark raisin (or can use either 1/2 cup chopped nuts or 1/2 cup seeds or 1/2 cup coconut) *I used 1/2 c of raisins and 1/2 c of walnuts
  • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chip (to prevent melting refrigerate or freeze the chocolate chips before mixing in)*I used about a 1/4 cup of regular size chips

Directions:

  1. lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish
  2. In a large bowl combine Rice Krispies cereal, oats and raisins. (and nuts)


  3. In a saucepan stir the corn syrup or honey and brown sugar until just at a boil.
  4. Immediately remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until well combined.


  5. Pour over the dry ingredients in the bowl; mix to combine.
  6. Mix in mini chocolate chips (if using) work fast the mixture hardens quickly.


  7. Transfer the mixture into prepared baking dish, then using slightly wet hands push evenly down into the pan.
  8. While the mixture is still soft, for easier slicing take a sharp knife and slice into desired size bars.
  9. Chill until firm.

Matthew just inhaled this bar. So it is a WINNNNNER! I think they might be a little too thick for Mark, he's having a hard time-- or he's spoofing me, don't know which.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

This is so cool. Thanks for the step by step directions and pictures. Matthew's smile is worth it all. You are being very resourceful.