Monday, April 5, 2010

Christo Anesti!

Christo Anesti-- Christ has Risen!

Easter has always been a hard holiday for me. When we were little, my grandpa did Easter big. We did the egg coloring thing and the hunting eggs thing... Grandpa loved doing Easter. When I was nine, though, my grandpa went to Heaven. Easter pretty much stopped at our house for a while. I remember my dad hiding funny things, random things, sometimes a five dollar bill for us to find, but the eggs and the traditional Easter things stopped. I don't remember missing them. At some point, my great-grandma took it over, and we'd go color eggs with her... but for my parents, I don't think it was ever the same after grandpa died. Some things in life, just weren't. For the first couple years of my marriage, Easter was just another day. It was a great celebration at church, but that was all. I enjoy each year being in the choir and working hard on our Easter program, but after church, Easter sort of stopped. We've never been ones to have a set menu on Easter or do a certain thing with family, it just was another day.

But it shouldn't be!!!! Easter is the best day of the whole year! Christ has risen! He is no longer in the grave. DEATH couldn't hold Him! Last year, because Mark was so small still, I didn't sing with the choir for the Easter program. Because of this, we traveled to Jamie's grandma and spent the weekend with his family and enjoyed the kids and the excitement they had in finding Easter eggs. We'd not done that with Matthew yet. Last year was his first egg hunt. So, this year we decided to do it again. I did sing with the choir on Easter, so we couldn't travel to family, but we enjoyed each other none-the-less. We had a beautiful day at church. I loved the breakfast buffet that our church family did. Eating one meal with extended "family" was wonderful. Then the church service was amazing. The singing, inspiring. The sermon, moving. Afterwards, the kids napped and Jamie and I rested on the couch with a movie. After naps, we found eggs in the yard and "had our Easter baskets." The Easter Bunny did not come to our house and I think Matthew was a little bit sad, since some friends at church were talking about what the Easter Bunny had left at their houses that morning, but I wasn't about to start that now. He had an Easter basket because his mommy and daddy love him. And because Jesus gave us the best gift ever, we also give our gifts. (Same song at Christmas: God gave us the best gift, by sending His Son, so we share in gift giving to remember God's gift). Matthew seemed okay by the explanation and he enjoyed his basket and all it had for him. Enjoy the pictures. And Happy Easter to you all!


No comments: