Tuesday, July 24, 2012

choices choices

Matthew's been getting a lot of choices lately.... I wrote some about his personal Spiritual choices but I have also been thinking about other choices surrounding him.

The other day I told him it was too warm for long sleeves still (after having to put them on a couple days in a row)... since then, when I've sent him to his room to get dressed, he's come out with short sleeves. That's a nice simple good choice right?

The other night at dinner he was faced with two foods on his plate that weren't "normal" I told him he needed to choose. He could either have one bite of peas (he's had before a handful of times) or he could try one bite of mashed potatoes again (he's only had maybe once or twice before). Easy enough right. Pick one. You have to eat one bite. But you get to decide which it is. (He chose the potatoes for anyone keeping track).

A couple days ago, he wanted to play on the computer. I told him he could... but... did he want to do his journal page before hand and get it out of the way or did he want me to set a timer and when the timer ding'd he'd have to do it then no matter what he was doing in the game.... He thought for a moment and then said "well, I guess I better get it out of the way" and then sat down and did his page with no fussing at all. Jamie and I looked at each other. Huh! Impressive.

Today he made a choice on his own that impressed me too. He and Mark had been playing for a while nicely. I was so proud of them. I'd been cleaning up the kitchen before putting Mark to nap... I kissed them both and told them both how proud I was that they were playing nicely and let me clean up the kitchen without having to fuss at anyone. I told them that I was so happy because they were playing nicely. I then put Mark to nap and Matthew asked to color. He then handed me a card that said "I love you. Dear Mommy. I know that you are happy all ready but I made this to make you happyer. Love your 6 year old." (I left the spelling as he wrote it). I love it. He's made several such cards lately where he's responding to situations and then writing things down. I'm so impressed. He's such a delight!  I'm so very proud of the little man that he's developing into.

Thank you Matthew for making such good and positive choices. I will be praying that you continue making the right choices and seek out those who will help you in making such choices all the days of your life. 

No comments: