Thursday, October 1, 2009

Five years...

I can close my eyes and see moments of my wedding day flash before me. It is hard to believe that it's been 5 years tomorrow. If you care to read about them... I'm going to share some of my wedding memories...

~I remember so many moments of heroism from my best friend, Nic, as she tried to make the day without a glitch for me. She was my secretary, my chauffeur, my companion, my dress carrier, my veil straightener, my "wing man", if you will. She was everything I needed that day from a person who gave of herself completely for me.
~I can see a circle of men standing around Jamie when I got to the church, shielding him from seeing me.
~I can see my best friend's husband standing guard the front stairs to make sure no one interrupted the wedding before ours (oh yes).
~I can remember someone's voice, I can't rememebr who... wait, Loretta? Maybe maybe Loretta saying to my mom "Austin's here" and my eyes wide trying to wrap my brain around what that meant, and the tears that came after that when I was told that yes, my great grandpa had been brought to my wedding day, even though I'd been told that he wasn't going to make it, I was beyond emotional about it.
~I can remember seeing Jamie's face as he watched me walk down the aisle. One thing I've never asked him about-- was I wonder what he must have thought or felt, when I stopped, mid aisle. ... seriously, I didn't make it all the way down the aisle... I could not pass my great-grandpa. I'm sure it isn't "done" but I could not pass him. I stopped, lifted my veil and kissed his cheek. He told me to be a good little girl (as he'd always done my whole life) and patted my hand, sending me on my way down the aisle, at my daddy's arm, to meet my future husband.
~I remember the floral shop messed up and didn't have a pink single rose in their order for my great-grandma yet some how when I got to the end of the aisle, there was one right beside the communion plates in her honor. I still don't know how it got there....
~I remember my sister couldn't make it through Candyss' song. I remember her small sniffles get louder as the song went on during our unity candle ordeal. I remember frozen in fear, as I watched the eyes of each groomsmen get wider and wider as Kris could. not. pull it together standing just behind me, holding my flowers as I held Jamie's hands. I didn't know what to do, I knew I didn't want to interrupt the song, but as soon as it was over, I turned and handed her my handkerchief so she could wipe her eyes. For whatever reason, this made the whole place erupt into laughter and we were able to carry on. It's one of my favorite memories actually. I love you Kris. I know I'll be a blubbering idiot at your wedding some day, and I bet I'm way worse than you were at mine. (like that would surprise anyone)
~I remember Peter saying "I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride." and the first chords of our song started playing...

I'm so thankful for that day. As crazy and stressful as it was, as uptight and anxious as I was, I wouldn't trade my wedding day for anything. It was the day that I became part of Mr and Mrs Jamie Hobbs. I'm so blessed. I can not believe it's been five years. Five years seems like a long time. Man, in five years of marriage we've moved twice. Jamie's changed jobs twice. We have two beautiful boys. ... hmmm, there is a theme, in five years, apparently things happen in twos. haha

Thank you Jamie. Thank you for choosing me. Thank you for loving me... Thank you for allowing me to be your wife. And thank you for the punch at the reception. (wink)



.... if you'd like more mushy-ness, you should read Four Years, written last year about this time. Not nearly as lengthy, and not about the wedding day itself either. Just a short poem for Jamie.

2 comments:

Nic said...

Oh, I think heroism is too strong a word. I just did whatever needed to be done. In the process, I think I scared everyone present into realizing that it just isn't in anyone's best interests to mess with Kate when I'm around. LOL I'm just glad it was a perfect day for you to look back on now... I can't believe it's been 5 years either. Love you, Love Jamie, Happy Anni!!!!

Brenda's Brushes said...

You have beautiful memories. By writing them in your blog, it'll help you continue to remember as the years go by. It's been 39 years for Allen and me; I should try to write my memories...who knows what I'll remember.?.?