Saturday, July 5, 2008

Matthew's first ER visit

Matthew had been to an urgent care before, but I think this was his first real ER visit-- I'll have Jamie correct me if I've blocked one out.

Well after another day of just lethargic-ness, and finally getting a peak at his throat, I got very nervous tonight. I called the nurse advice line and the nurse had me answer near 85 questions before she'd tell me one answer "Should I take my son to the ER or not?!" Based on the excessive drooling and lack of liquids and length of fever, she did suggest we go... So, I packed up my then sleeping child and off we went.

We checked in at 8:35 and I just got Matthew in his bed at 11:10 :( It was a rough night for someone already so worn out. (ha ha-- take your pick if you think that sentence meant him or me) Good news: it isn't strep yet. They did a rapid test and it came back negative and kept one to send off to be cultured to see if it develops into strep. Bad news: if it's not strep, then it's just a virus. The doc said the virus could last usually 3-5 days. If you're keeping track, today was day two. (Oh holy Hannah). I was told to continue to give him round the clock pain meds alternating every 3 hours between tylenol and motrin and encourage him to drink fluids. Which if you could only have peered into this house today is near IMPOSSIBLE. Matthew would take A SIP of a drink and hand it back to me crying and either saying "no momma" or just "owie." Enough to break my heart. His intake today consisted of maybe half a banana over the span of the day of him taking tiny bites of it and crying while he ate it but all the while asking for it, four mini rice cakes, and one and a half pediapops. Probably not even a total of 4 ounces of milk or juice between sips and crying. UGH! My poor baby.

Please continue to pray for him. Pray that I'll be able to get enough liquids in him somehow tomorrow so that this doesn't turn into dehydration. Pray that our Lord Jesus would lay His hand down on him and heal him up. Pray for his strength ... and mine. Pray that Jamie gets home safely tomorrow also. ...Thank you so much.

No comments: