Sunday, January 15, 2012

Thankfulness

... I'd fully planned on sharing the rest of our trip to Missouri on here and hopefully I'll get a chance to do so still, but uploading pictures is a timely thing to do. Maybe I can do it one night when Jamie is gone.

I do want to share a conversation from this evening... we needed to calm down a little more than normal (Papa and Grandma had been over (yay!) and the boys were a little wound at bed time.) So we sang some of our verses and then our goodnight song but then I asked them back and forth to tell me some things they were thankful for before we did our prayers. I will say the answers are comical and sweet.

Me: Matthew, can you tell me something you're thankful for?
Matthew: Firewood.
Me: Firewood??
Matthew: Yes. Firewood. You know. so we can make a cozy fire.
(He'd seen Aunt Kris and Uncle Brian's fire blazing in the fireplace during Skype earlier. I wonder if he'd have come up with that answer otherwise. Interesting.)

Me: Okay. Mark, what are you thankful for tonight?
Mark: Cats. I like cats. And pigs.
Me: Well that's nice. I like cats too.
Mark: and pigs.
Me: Okay.

Me: Matthew can you tell me something else you're thankful for?
Matthew: Dogs. The kind you aren't allergic to.
Me: That's nice, thank you. Mark?

Mark: Micah. He's my baby brother.
Me: And you're thankful for your brother. That's so sweet.
Mark: Yes. I am.
Me: Matthew do you want to tell me one more thing you're thankful for?

Matthew: Sure. ummmmmmmmmmm snow.
Me: Snow?
Matthew: Yup. I'm thankful for snow. And rain.
Me: Well, I do like snow, but I'm not sure I'm thankful for it. I am thankful for the rain though.
Matthew: Yup. I'm thankful for snow and rain and Micah.
Mark chimes in: And I'm thankful for you Mom.
Me: Thank you Mark, I'm thankful for you too.
Matthew: And I'm thankful for you too.
Me: and I'm thankful for you too.

... Just a little reminder to myself to ask the boys about being thankful and thankfulness more often. We can talk about it besides just at Thanksgiving. We need to be thanking God every day for the blessings He continues to give us.

No comments: