Monday, January 25, 2010

Couponing again

Well folks, I took a couponing break for a few months. It wasn't "working" well. Translation: I wasn't doing a great job at keeping up with it. I was paying for a site that was more confusing than helpful. I was buying lots of things we didn't need and my husband wasn't excited about that. But "I was getting them really cheap." Great. So what? I wasn't able to use it the way it is supposed to be used. So then I went back to cutting out only the coupons that I knew I was going to be using that week for the things we were actually going to be using that week. Well then I cringe when I use them, because I know I can be doing better, saving more, spending less, stocking up... Well today (actually starting yesterday) I dove back into the couponing world. Thanks to a friend (LOVE YOU, L), I've rejoined the savers community. She spends little to nothing at the store, leaves with a truck load and sometimes they pay her. So. I'm going to glean from her what I can, and share with you what I glean...

1. if you live in the South, GO to this website. It's called Southern Savers. OMG. It is FULL. For example, if you watned to see what the sales and deals were at Publix, you can click on the Publix drop down button, click on weekly ads, then when that pops up, click on the current week and it SHOWS YOU what is on sale, what are the BOGO deals, where to find the coupons to help you purchase these, which items you can get for free with coupons and so on. WOW!

2. START buying two double papers every week. L says this is most important. Set aside 5 bucks each week to accomplish this. Stuff the coupon inserts in folders and date the folders, stick the folders in a tub (my feet are currently on my tub) and keep them. You never know when a coupon is going to be good for what's on sale. And Southern Savers will tell you.

So, after following steps one and two this week...
I went to Publix tonight and saved nearly 20 bucks with my coupons and BOGO deals. I was pretty excited and L says it really wasn't a great deal week. So I can't wait to see how it works out down the road.

Right now I'm working on my Kroger list. They show you what is on the 10 for 10 Mega sale list and if there are coupons for them and where to find those coupons. AMAZING. Right now I'm looking at getting mustard for 19 cents, rotel for free, Raisin Bran for free, franks hot sauce for 19 cents, rice cakes for free and tortillas as my big item at 49 cents. WHAT?!?!?! Serious! I can't wait to go to Kroger tomorrow!

1 comment:

Tina said...

The key really is finding the great local website to help you! I love the one for me too. We have oatmeal super cheap here and I got 8 huge canisters. Dave was yelling that we did not need anymore since I don't like it. But he does and so do the kids. For $0.40 each we can have that much in the garage!